Apple Cake using Apple Pie filling
Fall/Harvest is and has always been one of my families most favorite times of the year. We have pear, apple and pomegranate trees that produce nice hearty tasty fruits. So baking with them is such a treat. I’m a big fan of apple anything! I love the sweet and tangy flavors apples bring to a dish and of course the touch of cinnamon enhances the yumminess.
Preheat your oven to 350
You will need these ingredients:
1 stick of butter (I use unsalted when I am baking and then I add in the desired amount)
1 ½ c granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp cinnamon for the batter and then additional for sprinkling on top right before it goes into the oven
2 ½ c all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
Zest from 1 lemon
1/3 c almond milk (you can use regular milk but I love the little hint of nuttiness almond milk gives the cake
Brown sugar to sprinkle over the top before it goes into the oven
Chopped pecans, almonds, walnuts – your choice to sprinkle over the top (if you choose)
- Begin by mixing the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Once combined add 1 egg at a time until completely blended, repeat this step until the 3 eggs are added
- Combine the cinnamon, flour, baking powder, salt and zest from lemon together in a separate bowl
- Begin adding your dry ingredients a little at a time to the wet ingredients. Add in a little almond milk also. Repeat this process until everything is mixed together.
- Grease and flour a 9X13 pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan
- Spoon the apple pie filling over the top; you can use store bought apple pie filling or if feeling ambitious see my recipe on canning apple pie filling.
- Once the apple pie filling of your choice is spooned over the top, take a knife and simply swirl it in.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top
- And because I am a big fan of pecans and cinnamon, I like to spread finely chopped pecans over the top and then finish off this heavenly work of art with some cinnamon
- Bake for 50 minutes and enjoy the heavenly scent in your house while it cooks, reduce the heat to 325, cover the cake with a piece of aluminum foil and bake for another 5-7 minutes. Uncover and enjoy.
A few ways to enjoy the apple pie cake;
Alone on a plate with a cup of coffee
As a dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel